We live in a day and age where mobile phones are as common as shirts and pants. There is a good possibility that a lot of good phones that are lying around in your house which can be put to good use. Here I list a few ways in no particular order. Some of these functions can only be performed by a smart phone, some by ordinary phones as well.
- Download Manager – If you have a slow wifi connection at home, your downloads might take a really long time to complete. If you have an old android phone lying around, you can install a torrent downloader on that and any sort of download manager that you need and start downloading. You might have some old memory card lying around as well. If that is the case, then well and good. You are all set for your download journeys. This is less power consuming as opposed to leaving your desktop on all the time as well.
- Timer – Timers come of good use in a lot of places. For example, in the kitchen; when you want to time your game time, tv time and so on. There is one good technique called the pomodoro technique that works based on the principle of concentrating for 20 minutes and then relaxing for five. Repeating this set three times and then taking a long break for 15 mins at the end of those three cycles. It can help you be more productive. I have tried it and it works. Use your old phones for that, you will save yourselves from the distractions of all the notifications from your current phone.
- Music Player – Your current phone may have a lot of space, but I am sure you would want more. Why not push all the music to your old phone and just have the hits on your phone. This works well if you don’t own an iPod and you probably don’t need to. An old phone works really well for this.
- GPS Device – How many times have you been frustrated with maps and GPS consuming your battery like crazy. Why not use an old phone for that. You don’t have to worry about your phone going out of battery at the end of the journey. Sure you can use your car charger but isn’t it less fussy to just forget about having to charge your phone all the time.
- E-Reader – If your old phone has a good screen you can use it as an e-Reader and save battery on your current phone.
- Backup Phone – When you have your old phone lying around for any use mentioned above. You will have it charged. This will come in handy when your current phone dies and you don’t have a power bank with you.
- Fitness Tracker – Install a fitness tracker that requires just your accelerometer and your GPS. You will again not have to worry about your battery draining in such activities.
- Donate It – Last but not least. Rather than just keeping in a shelf and letting it die, give it to someone who really needs it. You will have earned their love.